We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just one drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less because of that one drop.

Mother Teresa

Saturday, October 16, 2010

The day before

What goes through my mind the day before the event that I've been training four months for?
Crazy thoughts!
The past two nights I've been plagued with nightmares of sleeping late or getting the day wrong. I wake up in a panic that I missed the race. Very unnerving. I'm trying to relax. I'm trying to get pumped, but instead my stomach is full of twisted and fluttering feelings. Actually I get like this before every race. And before every race I question why I signed up for this.

And so its back to the basics: I like to run. I like to see how far my body can get me. Without a race hovering in the distance as an incentive I probably wouldn't get out there to push myself. The feeling of accomplishment is sooooo worth it. And this time around I did something I never thought I would be able to do, I raised money and support for a cause that is very important to me. I realize that it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn( sounds funny when I write it), but I need to acknowledge it to myself because this is my reminder. This is why I will get up at five tomorrow, be in Lowell at 6:30am and stand on the starting line of " the longest distance I've ever run" and be happy. No, Be EXCITED!!!!!!!!

I'm spending my day today reading running stories and compiling a list of quotes and verses that I hope will come back to me in times of tiredness tomorrow. Stories that are very encouraging, amazing tales of the underdog winning the race. People with two artificial legs running marathons. Stories of cancer survivors and 9/11 victims. The feeling of running with others and what it feels like to cross that finish line no matter what place you come in( very relevant to this average runner).

I'm making my play list, complete with the theme song to Rocky( a guaranteed song to make you move your feet)I wonder if I'd get sick of hearing it if I played it the entire time :-) ).

And I have my prayer buddies! Thank you all so much for being willing to think of me and take the time to pray and support. I was gonna give everyone a time, but ( and no pity party here) I don't have 26 people.
And so, can I just ask you all to pray when you feel it. I trust God to do the nudging :-)
I truly appreciate each and every one of you and am amazed by the way God has provided support through out all of this.
And so( in no order of importance to me, except of course my husband :-) ) Todd, Rachael, Laura S, Keri, Kevin, Sue, Angie, Jill, Heidi,Sharon,Laurae, Kristin,Laura W, Harriet, Julie M THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

And lastly, tonight I will dig into a very generous portion of Filhos chicken parm with penne and I'll probably eat a side of bread sticks too! I will enjoy each and every bite and I will feel absolutely no guilt. After all, I am running 26.2 miles tomorrow!!!!!! ( or so I hope)

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil. 4:13

"They will soar on wings like eagles: they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint" Isaiah 40:31

My collection of quotes:

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.~ Edmund Hillary

Little by Little one walks far~Proverb

I hated every minute of training, but I said,"Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion"~ Muhammad Ali

Do or do not. There is no "try". ~ Yoda

Giving up is your brain's idea. Ask yourself, "Who's in charge here?"~ Phil Whyman

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,

    I wish I could be there to cheer you on. I pray that God's strength will be seen in your weakness. May He bless each step of your run and your life.

    Rick Conti (SFH)

    ReplyDelete