We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just one drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less because of that one drop.

Mother Teresa

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Where the heck is my 6-pack????

With an 18 mile long run and mileage totaling near the same during the week you'd think I'd have some resemblance of abdominal muscles coming to the surface. Nope. Not even one! Now, I realize to get abs again at 36 after birthing three kids was not the point of running this race( the kiddos living in the orphanage are), but I was hopeful it would be an added bonus!!!! I have a suspicion I do have abs, but they will remain hidden under the thick layer of Ben and Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk I keep telling myself I deserve and( heres where the the problem is) can afford( calorically) to eat!!!!

Anyways....... Yep, I made it to 18 miles!!!!! The run was a lot worse in my head this week then the actual run. I didn't collapse into a small writhing ball like last week:-)
I made some changes today that I do believe helped.

I changed my course. I needed a new view to distract me and as a result I felt more like I was exploring the town rather then simply trying to get to the turn around point and be done.

I walked. Not the whole way of course! I have always felt like I was cheating by walking during my run. This week I read in a training blog about the importance of walking to give your body a chance to rest in order to get you through the long runs. Marathoners( it said) will often walk at some point and still finish in record times. So, today when I felt like it, I walked. Sometimes for a minute, sometimes two, some technical difficulities at one point, caused me to have to walk for five. After each time I felt completely refreshed! I was actually kinda amazed at the difference it made. As a result my energy stayed up and I finished the run happy. Something I haven't been doing after my long runs. Of course, I'm happy that the run is over, but I'm referring to that " That was a good run!" feeling I used to get. Trying to maintain my love( like) of running through this experience is important to me.

And despite my telling a " certain friend" that I wouldn't experiment with my tried and true methods, I did. Now, I'm not saying it added anything, but I do have to admit it didn't take away anything. I didn't have any Gatorade today. Just water.

Lastly, based upon this new theory of barefoot running being better for your feet, legs....etc. I paid attention to how my feet felt in my sneakers. Last week I experienced a lot of foot pain and cramping.
Since the whole idea of barefoot running is that your foot is free to open, extend, reach and grab, so I made sure when I stepped I flattened my foot inside my sneaker.( of course this could start discussions on the proper way to land on your foot, but I think the proper way is whatever position leaves you without injury) I stretched my toes out and even wiggled them around at times! I've always had a narrow foot so all shoes tend to be on the wide side for me. Leaving me with plently of room to stretch my foot! It felt good. Hmmmmm, I guess its my own variation on barefoot running. I'm certainly not crazy enough to forgo my beloved cushion in the heel of sneaker:-)

Isaiah 40 :31 " But they that wait on the Lord, shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like eagles: they shall run and not be weary: they shall walk and not faint".

Thank you all for loving, praying, and giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment