We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just one drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less because of that one drop.

Mother Teresa

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Calm before the storm

Yesterday I only had to run 12. Yes, 12 is still loooooong, but after 15, it felt like a break. Looking ahead in my training, this last week was the calm before the storm. I had been averaging between 28 and 30 miles a week. This week is where I begin the climb increasing that average mileage to near 40. In 4 weeks I'll attempt 20. Just thinking of this causes doubt. But, as I keep reminding myself , God brought me to this, God'll see me through this.
My legs are TIRED!!!!!!! And they are about to become exhausted!!!!!!The idea of the training is to increase mileage gradually. Get to 20 miles( twice) and then the mileage will taper down again for a few weeks prior to the race. This next month will be the hardest and I feel will truly test what I'm made of. More importantly, what my legs are made of. From the looks of them right now, I'd say cottage cheese. I'm shooting for a cheese stick! ( hmm... all this cheese talk, maybe I'm need of some protein). I have high hopes that will change at some point. I can't deny that a part of all this is also to see what positive changes all this running has on my body. I wouldn't mind if in fact my 19 yr old body, complete with abs, were to surface along the way!!!! No, you won't hear me complaining about that!

And so, yesterdays run was rather dull. Beautiful weather again to be thankful for and of course every run I return from uninjured was a good run!

A couple of personal running tips I've learned over time and would like to share:

1) Advil. Love it! I take two before I head out each time and I think it just gives me that certain" something something" to get past any small aches that creep up from knee overuse.

2) Glide. Love love love it!!!! It looks like a deodorant stick. You rub it on any part of your body that rubs another part of your body. Its magic. I've accepted that my thighs will always touch. They are just built that way. But after an hour of "touching" my thighs are just not friends anymore. Those of you who are blessed with " friendly thighs" can relate. No? I am happy to report this product keeps them happy!!!! I rub it on my toes, my arms, my knees..... you get the point!

3) Long shorts. Running shorts are short. Soccer shorts are long. If you look down while running and see tree trunks, your brain thinks it is running on tree trunks. Trees trunks become very heavy to lift after a few miles. A good trick is to hide the trunk part and just let your limbs peek out. Tree limbs are light and wonderfully quick to run on!

4) Any street that has the name hill in it should be avoided at all costs. It is named that for a reason!

On a more serious note..... Check out that Chip In meter!!!!! I am amazed!!!! You are awesome!!!!!!!

Thank you all for loving, giving, and praying!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment