We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just one drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less because of that one drop.

Mother Teresa

Saturday, July 31, 2010

15 miles......

Last night I mapped out my run. It came to 14. Sage( my 12 yr old) asked to ride alongside me on her bike, so I had to adjust my route to accommodate a biker. Certain roads I take as a single runner are just not safe for a biker too. Crazy drivers!
We set out late, around 7:15, I had hoped to be out by 6:30, but my usual morning procrastination got in the way. The temperature was perfect! Warm enough for shorts, cold enough to keep me from sweating like a lunatic!
The first 7mi. were pretty uneventful. Just going. One foot in front of the other. Thankful for my company. Thankful for the quiet around us.
At 7 1/2, I needed to stop for a bottle of Gatorade. Sage had been carrying my water bottle in her backpack, and I haven't quite figured out how to carry enough water with me to last the distance. I got a camel pack for Mother's Day, but the thought of having to clean out the water bag has kept me from using it!
We stopped and I ran( ok I walked) into the store and grabbed a drink , I grabbed a cliff bar too( although the peanut m&ms were looking pretty darn good). My legs were feeling ok, but my stomach was feeling real empty and realizing I was only half way done I decided to eat at least half. One piece of peanut butter toast only lasts your body 7 1/2 mi. I guess.
I figured I'd change up the return route a little, not realizing the distance it would add. Glad at the time because it was more scenic. Not happy at the end when I realized what I had done!

As I was running it struck me, the irony of my running through one of the most wealthiest towns in these parts( I run through it, I don't live in it), while trying to raise money for one of the poorest countries in the world. Learning to live here while knowing what I now know and having seen the things I now have is a constant struggle. Having to admit to myself that I like nice houses, I like nice things. Is it ok to feel this way? How am I not to live with constant guilt with what the Lord has provided for me and my family and that sometimes I can become easily greedy and dare to want... more. Its hard to live here surrounded by wealth and overabundance. It makes me want. I don't want to want. Wanting creates envy. Envy is ugly.
Haiti is simple. Life there is simple. The stuff isn't all there to cloud your mind. You can focus.

God first. Always.

So those thoughts took me to around mile 12 1/2. At which point my body cried " mercy" and I just wanted to be done. I looked at poor Sage. What an amazing kid. Yes, she's my daughter so I have to say that, but really she is. Not one complaint. I know she was bored. She couldn't zoom on ahead, she was sticking with me. Riding a bike slow is very annoying. Sitting on a bike seat for 2 1/2 hours is hard.

At mile 14 , my pace really slowed. She encouraged me. Sorry to embarrass you, Sage, but I LOVE YOU!!!!!!

My form began to change. Not sure if went from incorrect to correct, or the reverse, but my legs started to bend more at the knees. It was as if my body wanted to be lower to the ground. It did. I wanted to be laying on it!
At the end, my arms seem to be pumping me along. Taking over for the lower half. I finished. 15 miles! Longest I've ever run. At this point I'll be able to say that until the end. There is a certain pride that comes with that statement. Even if I say it while laying on the couch with ice on both knees and no desire at all to even stand up for the rest of the day!!!!!!
Thanks for loving, giving, and praying!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. you have a wonderful and amazing child riding with you - you have 5 wonderful, amazing children.

    And, in my opinion, God puts his children in every station of life so they can minister where He put them. There are lost, broken, lonely people in every social strata. At least that's my excuse while I live in America and life is good.

    ReplyDelete