We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just one drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less because of that one drop.

Mother Teresa

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Filhos, Oh how I love thee!!

Well, your chicken parm that is! Filhos Cucina in Groton, Ma makes THE best chicken parmesan EVER!!!!!
I mention this because the part of training I like best is carbo loading the night before my long run. Every race I have run since Filhos has opened had me eating their chicken parm the night before the race. Its just that good. My body likes it, my stomach agrees with it( very important), and I feel energized.

This week I had some stomach issues( I am prepared to very honest on this blog), and so I was feeling very empty( pun intended :-) ) , last night and was a little nervous about what my stomach would do on todays 12 mile run. I am pleased to report, thanks to Filhos ( and prayer, of course), my run went very well( by well I mean I there were no emergency trips off road)!

Sadly, I realize, that I will not be able to afford Filhos every Friday night leading up to the race. That would probably defeat the purpose of fundraising. I will have to perfect my own chicken parm recipe and hope it comes close enough to fool my body into thinking its getting the real thing.

Now, the run..... Today I ran 12 miles. I am a little behind schedule because I missed two weeks of long runs while I was in Haiti and despite this notion that " the body enjoys a break, and it will be stronger after", my legs apparently think quite differently!

Every long run starts off exactly the same. I dread it. I dilly dally in the morning before heading out. I wonder if perhaps Sunday would be a better day for a long run. Eventually I make it out the door.

My body resists. First one knee sort of snaps in place with a nice shooting pain, then the other does the same. Thank goodness they don't do it at the same time or else I'd land face first on the road. A mile or so into the run my left hamstring makes its presence known with a good squeeze and reminds me I forgot to stretch long enough. Again. About mile three or four I feel tired and begin to think " this is not gonna be a good run". I keep going because history has shown me that about mile five or six my body will stop resisting and accept that together, me, my body, and my mind, are gonna do this. And I fall into my pace. This happens on EVERY run. Its pretty annoying.
Amazingly, my pace came quicker today. My mind didn't torment me with evil thoughts of quitting and I actually had a pleasant run. Besides a killer blister on one of my toes( as if my feet weren't ugly enough already) my body feels good.
I'm sure the combination of finally committing to do this and all the amazing donations and support I am feeling had something to do with it. I think my feet actually felt lighter this morning knowing you are all out there and you support this.
Thank you all for loving, giving, praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment