We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just one drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less because of that one drop.

Mother Teresa

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Why a marathon? Why a caregiver?

I've always wanted to run a marathon. I've always wondered if I had it in me to keep going mile after mile.

A few years ago I set a half-marathon as my personal "lets see if I can do this" goal. With the help of a very encouraging running buddy I finished and I didn't feel like I'd die after so I signed up for another one. That one didn't end as well and like many people who have a bad race I swore I was done. Why was I torturing myself anyway? I proved to myself I could finish, time to let it go. And yet a month or so later I found myself training for another half. Maybe I'd do better this time. Like child-birth, you forget the pain. Until you're somewhere between mile 1o-11, when you remember that pain and you wonder again," what on earth am I doing this for?"

So, I knew that if I were ever to run a marathon I'd need a purpose. Something I was running for. Something meaningful. Something that at mile 24( I'm praying it won't be before that!) I can tell myself "its not about me". I can know in my heart, the steps I have to finish stand for more then wondering what I'm capable of, but rather what I'm passionate about. What I want others to know about.

My passion is Haiti's children. The orphans, the innocent.

Currently my son, Roody, is living at Wayom Timoun ( Kingdom Kids) Orphanage in Cite Militaire, Haiti. We have begun the paperwork process to bring him home, but truly only God knows when that will be. I have met him and loved him and had the heartbreaking task of leaving him. Twice.

Wayom Timoun had 30 children before the earthquake. Since Jan. 12, 2010 their numbers have increased to near 60. 60 children who have suffered a tragic loss. Some of these kids now have parents that are waiting for them to come home. Some are still waiting........ is adoption on your heart?

Right now the amount of caregivers living, loving, dressing, cleaning,, feeding these kids is the same as when there were only 30. Just as you can sponsor the children of the orphange ( check out servantsforhaiti.org) for more info :-) ) , you can sponsor a caregiver. The cost is 50.00 a month. Do you have any idea what these caregivers do??????? I have seen them work. From sun-up to sundown these amazing strong beautiful Haitian woman are busting their buts the likes of which you can't even imagine!!!! Constantly going , never complaining, certainly not stopping for tea in the afternoon or a nap!!!! Laundry is done by HAND!!!!!!! Dishes are done by HAND!!!!!!!!!!Babies need changing, toddlers need direction, kids need to be fed..... But there aren't enough caregivers to get this work done. I said they don't complain, but these ladies are tired!!!!!!

I love and appreciate these woman. I am thankful they are there. But there needs to be more of them! For the sake of the children...... For the fathers and mothers who died in the quake, the parents who had to leave their children beause they could no longer care for them.......I want to provide more help.
With your help and support I'd like to raise enough to pay for another caregiver for the next two years. What happens after that? Not sure..... I guess I run another marathon!!!!!!

So thats it! My passion. Lets take care of Haiti's children.

We can't all move there and do it ourselves( although if God opened a door.....) , but we can provide the care these kids need through other means. 50.00 a month for what these woman do????!!!!!!!! They deserve so much more.... but thats another blog post.

This blog( I can't believe I'm writing a blog, does anyone really want to know whats in my head???) is my journey as I train. Most likely with occasional snipets of Haiti weaved in!

Will you share my blog with people? You never know who it will reach. And Please.........
if you can't support me financially, please pray for me.......... I have a feeling I'm gonna need it!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, beautiful, as are you. You are inspiring. Keep up all your great work!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, Thanks so much for sharing! We, too, feel the same way about the wonderful women at KOK who care for our dear Olguine! Here is a gift for your mission of hiring another caregiver for the kids there. It's only two more little drops, but together we can do amazing things! I'm sure God will fill up the bucket with many more drops so you can meet this goal! We serve such a mightly God! Your blog is terrific-keep up the wonderful work and let's all support the orphanage there.....Andrea Lane

    ReplyDelete